> University Academic Staffback
Dr YAP Yat Hin, Desmond
Clinical Assistant Professor
MBBS(HK), MD (HK), MRCP (UK), FHKCP, FHKAM (Medicine), FRCP (Edinburgh), FRCP (Glasgow), FRCP(London)
Dr. Desmond Yat-Hin YAP joined the University Department of Medicine in 2004 and was appointed as Clinical Assistant Professor in Medicine since 2012. His research interests include the immunopathogenesis and the use of immunosuppressive treatments in glomerular diseases, with special focus on lupus nephritis which is an important cause of renal failure in Asia. Dr. Yap's other research interests pertains to hepatitis B viral infection in patients with kidney diseases, which is a prevalent and important issue among renal transplant recipients in Asia. He received the Young Investigator Award by the Hong Kong Society of Nephrology in 2009 for his investigation on serum immunoglobulin binding activity to human mesangial cells in lupus nephritis. He was awarded the Li Shu Pui Clinical Fellowship (2014-2015) and worked as a visiting clinician-scientist at the Fiebiger-Nikolaus Centre, Friedrich-Alexander University, Germany.
- Immunopathogenesis and use of immunosuppressive treatments in lupus nephritis
- Pathogenesis, monitoring and prevention of flares in lupus nephritis
- Viral hepatitis infection in renal failure patients
- Infective complications in peritoneal dialysis
- Yap DY, Yung S, Zhang Q, Tang C, Chan TM. Serum level of proximal renal tubular epithelial cell-binding immunoglobulin G in patients with lupus nephritis. Lupus. 2016 Jan;25(1):46-53.
- Yap DY, Chan TM. Lupus Nephritis in Asia: Clinical Features and Management. Kidney Dis (Basel). 2015 Sep;1(2):100-9.
- Yap DY, Yung S, Zhang Q, Tang C, Chan TM. Mesangial cell-binding activity of serum immunoglobulin g in patients with lupus nephritis. PLoS One 2014 Jul 9;9:e101987.
- Yap DY, Ma MK, Mok MM, Kwan LP, Chan GC, Chan TM. Long-term data on tacrolimus treatment in lupus nephritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2014; 53: 2232-7.
- Mok CC, Yap DY*, Navarra SV, Liu ZH, Zhao MH, Lu L, Takeuchi T, Avihingsanon Y, Yu XQ, Lapid EA, Lugue-Lizardo LR, Sumethkul V, Shen N, Chen SL, Chan TM; Asian Lupus Nephritis Network (ALNN). Overview of Lupus Nephritis Management Guidelines and Perspective from Asia. Co-published in Int J Rheum Dis 2013; 16; 625-36 & Nephrology (Carlton) 2014; 19: 11-20 [*co-first author].
- Yap DY, Ma MK, Mok MM, Tang CS, Chan TM. Long-term data on corticosteroids and mycophenolate mofetil treatment in lupus nephritis. Rheumatology (Oxford) 2013; 52: 480-6.
- Yap DY, Ma MK, Tang CS, Chan TM. Proliferation signal inhibitors in the treatment of lupus nephritis: preliminary experience. Nephrology (Carlton) 2012; 17: 676-80.
- Yap DY, Tang CS, Ma MK, Lam MF, Chan TM. Survival analysis and causes of mortality in patients with lupus nephritis. Nephrol Dial Transplant 2012; 27: 3248-54.
- Yap DY, Yu X, Chen XM, Lu F, Chen N, Li XW, Tang CS, Chan TM. Pilot 24 month study to compare mycophenolate mofetil and tacrolimus in the treatment of membranous lupus nephritis with nephrotic syndrome. Nephrology (Carlton) 2012; 17: 352-7.
- Yap DY, Tang CS, Yung S, Choy BY, Yuen MF, Chan TM. Long-term outcome of renal transplant recipients with chronic hepatitis B infection-impact of antiviral treatments. Transplantation 2010; 90: 325-30.
- Yap DY, Yung S, Tang CS, Seto WK, Ma MK, Mok MM, Kwan LP, Chan GC, Choy BY, Yuen MF, Chan TM. Entecavir treatment in kidney transplant recipients infected with hepatitis B. Clin Transplant 2014;28:1010-5.
- Yap DY, Chan TM. Evolution of hepatitis B management in kidney transplantation. World J Gastroenterol 2014; 20: 468-74.
- Li Shu Pui Clinical Fellowship 2014-2015
- Hong Kong Society of Nephrology Young Investigator Award 2009
- Li Shu Fan Medical Foundation Clinical Scholarship 2001-2002
- Wong Ching Yee Medical Scholarship 2001-2002
- Ho Kam Tong Prize in Community Medicine 2001
- Li Shu Fan Medical Foundation Clinical Scholarship 2000-2001
- Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR 2015-2016
- Health and Medical Research Fund (HMRF), Food and Health Bureau, HKSAR 2014-2015
- Li Shu Pui Clinical Fellowship 2014-2015
- Hong Kong College of Physicians Young Investigator Research Grant 2014-2015
- SK Yee Medical Foundation Grant 2013-2014
- Hong Kong Society of Nephrology Research Grant 2012-2013
- HKU Seed Funding for Basic Research 2012-2013
- Hong Kong Society of Nephrology Research Grant 2009-2010
- Council Member, Hong Kong Society of Nephrology (since 2014)
- Honorary Secretary, Asian Lupus Nephritis Network (since 2012)
- Honorary Secretary, Hong Kong Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (2012-2013)
- Organizing & scientific committee of the 2013 Joint Meeting of the Asia-Pacific Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics Association (APHIA) & Hong Kong Society of Histocompatibility and Immunogenetics (HKSHI)
Editorial Board Memberships
- Associate Editor, Hong Kong Journal of Nephrology (since 2014)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Nephrology and Kidney Failure (since 2014)
- Associate Editor, International Journal of Community and Family Medicine (since 2014)